The fundamental principles of the election of the President of the Republic of Moldova
(1) The President of the Republic of Moldova shall be elected by the citizens of the Republic of Moldova by a universal, equal, direct, secret and freely expressed vote.
(2) Only a citizen of the Republic of Moldova who, by the day of the election, has reached the age of 35, has lived on the territory of the republic for no less than 10 years, speaks the state language and, in accordance with this Law, is nominated as a candidate for the President of the Republic of Moldova — may be elected President of the Republic of Moldova.
(3) This Law provides for the method of nominating a candidate and the method of campaigning for the position of the President of the Republic of Moldova.
(4) A candidate shall be declared elected if he gains at least half the votes of those who participated in the election.
(5) In the event that none of the candidates obtain at least half the votes of those who participated in the elections, a run off shall be held between the two candidates receiving the most votes in the first round. The ballot order shall be arranged by the number of votes received in the first round.
(6) The candidate who receives more votes in the second round is elected if the number of votes received is larger than the number of votes against this candidate.
(7) The date of the election as well as the date of the second round shall be established by this Law. The results of the election of the President of the Republic of Moldova shall be confirmed by the Constitutional Court.
(8) Within 45 days of the election the candidate whose election has been validated by the Constitutional Court in the method established by this Law shall take the oath in the presence of Parliament and the Constitutional Court in accordance with the text provided in Article 79 (2) of the Constitution of the Republic of Moldova and Article 34 (1) of this Law. The term of the President of the Republic of Moldova shall be for 4 years and shall be exercised starting the day of taking the oath. The President of the Republic of Moldova shall exercise his mandate until the newly elected President takes the oath.(9) The term of the President of the Republic of Moldova may be extended in the event of war or calamity in the method established by the Law on the President of the Republic of Moldova.(10)The same person may not hold the office of the President of the Republic of Moldova for more than two consecutive terms.
Thank you for using VOTA. In order to help us improve the database, please send your comments or feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or to email@example.com
The VOTA database was created within the framework of the joint programme between the Venice Commission and the European Commission "Democracy through free and fair elections". It is managed jointly by the Secretariat of the Venice Commission and by the Mexican Electoral Tribunal of the Federal Judiciary (TEPJF).