Article 35. Nomination of Candidates, Lists of Candidates by Electoral Associations, Electoral Blocs
1. Electoral associations, electoral blocs shall be entitled to nominate candidates, lists of candidates. In a single-seat electoral district, an electoral association, an electoral bloc may nominate one candidate. In a multi-seat electoral district, an electoral association, an electoral bloc may nominate a candidate for each deputy seat in this electoral district.
2. Nomination of candidates, lists of candidates by political parties shall be regulated by the Federal Law "On Political Parties." Nomination of candidates, lists of candidates by other public associations shall be carried out at congresses (conferences, meetings) of such public associations, their regional or local branches, by secret ballot, and in compliance with other requirements of the federal law regarding nomination of candidates by political parties.
3. Electoral blocs shall be formed after the official publication of a decision to call (hold) the election.
4. Apart from electoral associations, electoral blocs may include, in accordance with the procedure established by law, all-Russia public associations established as non-governmental organizations or public movements, the charters of which provide for participation in elections and referendums. Such all-Russia public associations established as non-governmental organizations or public movements, and any amendments or supplements to the charters thereof that provide for participation in elections and referendums shall be registered, in accordance with the federal law, not later than one year before voting day, and if an election of a body of state power, a body of local self-government is called because of an early termination of powers of a body of state power, a body of local self-government, not later than six months before voting day. The above time limits shall not apply to other amendments or supplements introduced to the charter of a national public association.
5. Electoral blocs shall not incorporate the following all-Russia public associations established as non-governmental organizations or public movements:
a) an association registered under the legislation of the Russian Federation as a trade union, a religious organization, a charitable organization, an ethnic/cultural autonomy;
b) an association the charter of which requires that its members or associated persons be selected solely by an occupational, ethnic, racial and/or confessional criterion (criteria);
c) an association the non-political nature of which is specifically provided for by the federal law;
d) an association the charter of which allows membership therein or otherwise association thereto of foreign citizens, foreign or international organizations;
e) an association the charter of which allows membership therein or association thereto of persons who have no right to be members of political parties;
f) an association established to advance professional, scientific, amateur interests, or established to advance interests of groups of people in accordance with a special federal law adopted under Federal Law No. 82-FZ of May 19, 1995 "On Public Associations.".
6. Electoral blocs shall be subject to registration with the election commission organizing the election either immediately after they are established or simultaneously with submission of the joint list of candidates to the election commission. Electoral associations incorporated into an electoral bloc shall not, at the same election, be included into other electoral blocs or act as independent electoral associations.
7. An electoral bloc shall have the rights of an electoral association.
8. An electoral bloc, at the time of its creation, shall authorize a body of this electoral bloc or a member electoral association to act on its behalf in the period of the election campaign, and during the term of the legislative (representative) body of state power, the body of local self-government if the list of candidates nominated by this electoral bloc is included in the distribution of deputy seats in the above bodies.
9. At the request of the election commission organizing the election, the registering authorities shall, not later than ten days after the day of receipt of the request, provide to the said commission a list of electoral associations, and a list of all-Russia public associations that meet the requirements of Clauses 4 and 5 of this article as of the day of receipt of the request.
10. The name of an electoral association shall be the name indicated in the charter of the corresponding political party or another public association.
11. The name of an electoral bloc, including its short name, that consists of not more than seven words, shall be determined at a congress (conference) of representatives of the electoral associations that formed the given bloc. The name of an electoral bloc shall not use the name of a public association which has been registered at the given or a higher level and has not joined the given electoral bloc, or the name of another electoral bloc which has already been registered for this election. The first name and surname of a natural person, the name of a state or municipal office shall not be used in the name of an electoral bloc.
12. In cases and in accordance with a procedure provided for by law, an electoral association, electoral bloc may submit its emblem to the relevant election commission. An electoral association may submit only its own emblem a description of which is contained in its charter. An electoral bloc may submit an emblem of any of the electoral associations comprised in the given electoral bloc or any other emblem with the exception of emblems descriptions of which are contained in the charters of other public associations which nominated candidates, lists of candidates at the given or previous elections of the given or a higher level, and emblems of electoral blocs that nominated candidates, lists of candidates at the given election. Symbols of an electoral association, electoral bloc shall not infringe upon rights of intellectual property, insult or denigrate the National Flag of the Russian Federation, the National Emblem of the Russian Federation, the National Anthem of the Russian Federation, flags, emblems, anthems of subjects of the Russian Federation, municipalities, foreign states, religious symbols and national sentiments, violate the generally recognized moral norms.
13. The names and symbols of electoral associations, electoral blocs shall not be changed after their submission to the relevant election commission.
14. The list of candidates nominated by an electoral association, electoral bloc shall be submitted to the election commission organizing the election together with the documents specified in Clauses 2 and 3, Article 33 of this Federal Law. Within three days, the election commission shall certify the list of candidates nominated by an electoral association, electoral bloc.
15. After the list of candidates has been submitted to the election commission, the candidates on the list and the order in which they are arranged thereon shall not be changed otherwise than due to withdrawal (removal) of the candidates. In cases provided by law, this rule shall not apply to elections in single-seat (multi-seat) electoral districts.
16. At least a half of the deputy seats in the legislative (representative) body of state power of a subject of the Russian Federation or in either of its chambers shall be distributed between the lists of candidates nominated by electoral associations, electoral blocs in proportion to the number of votes received by each list of candidates. The law of a subject of the Russian Federation may establish a minimum percentage of votes to be received by a list of candidates in order to be included in such distribution of deputy seats. Such minimum percentage of votes shall be established so that at least two lists of candidates that have jointly received more than 50 percent of votes cast by the voters who participated in the voting be included in the distribution of the deputy seats.