Election of the President
(1) The President of the Republic of Moldova is elected by freely-expressed, universal, equal, direct, and secret suffrage.
(2) Any citizen of the Republic of Moldova may run for the office of President of the Republic of Moldova, provided that he/she has the right to vote and is over 40 years of age, had lived or has been living permanently on the territory of the Republic of Moldova for no less than 10 years and speaks the official state language.
(3) The candidate obtaining at least half the votes cast in the presidential election shall be proclaimed as the new President.
(4) If after the first ballot no candidate will have obtained the above-mentioned majority of votes, a second ballot shall be held to choose from the first-placed two candidates, in the order of the number of votes cast for them in the first ballot. On condition that the number of the votes cast for him be bigger than the number of the votes cast against him, the candidate obtaining most of the votes cast in the second ballot shall be proclaimed as the new President.
(6) The procedure for the election of the President of the Republic of Moldova shall be provided for by organic law.