(1) Not later than when an election has been called shall an election committee be chosen for each nomination district. In municipalities comprising more than one nomination district one common election committee shall be chosen.
(2) The election committee procures ballot papers and notices and super vises the final computation of the vote in the nomination district.
(3) Members of the election committee are elected by the local council by pro portional representation. The group in the local council appointing a member shall also appoint a substitute. The mayor is a member of the election committee. In municipalities governed by a corporation or by a multilevel administrative body, cf. sections 64 and 64a in the Local Government Act, the municipality may adopt by-laws to provide that a member of the corporation or a committee chairman shall be a member and not the mayor. Other members and substitutes are chosen from among the members of the local council.
(4) Where a local council has to appoint members for more than one election committee, appointments are made each at a time.
(5) No one can be a member of more than one election committee. Where a member of the local council meets the conditions of being a born chairman of an election committee and a born member of another election committee, cf. subsection (3)(iii) and (iv) and section 24, he or she shall be a member of the election committee of which he or she is the born chairman. In other cases where a local council has to appoint members of more than one election committees, and a member of the local council thus fulfils the conditions of being a born member of more than one election committee, cf. subsection (3)(iii) and (iv), the person concerned must inform the local council, before the local council appoints members of the election committees, which election committee he or she wants to join. If he or she fails to do so, lots should be drawn between election committees. To sit on the election committee that the born member does not join, the local council elects all members of the municipality among the members of the local council by proportional representation.