(1) A candidate at any electionshall deposit, or causeto be deposited on his behalf, with the Commission, before his nomination can be accepted, the sum of ninety euro (90) in respectof each nomination, and if he fails to do so, the nomination in respect of which no deposit has been made shall not be accepted by the Commissioners.
(2) If after the deposit is made the candidature is withdrawn inpursuance of the provisions of this Act, the deposit shall be returned to the person by whom it was made; and if the candidate dies after the deposit is made and before the voting has commenced, the deposit, if made by him, shall be returned to his heirs and if not made by him, shall be returned to the person by whom it was made.
(3) If a candidate who has made the required deposit is notelected, and the number of votes polled by him does not exceed one-tenth of the number of votes polled divided by the number of members to be elected for that division, the amount deposited shall be forfeited and paid by the Commissioners into the Consolidated Fund but in any other case the amount shall be returned to the candidate, where the candidate is elected, as soon as he has taken the oath as a member, and where the candidate is not elected, as soon as practicable after the result of the election is declared.
(4) Where a candidate is nominated at an election in two divisions he shall not recover his deposit more than once unless he is elected in both divisions, and if such candidate fails to obtain, in either division, the minimum number of votes required in accordance with sub article (3) he shall forfeit both deposits.
(5) For the purpose of this article the number of votes polled by a candidate shall be the highest number of votes credited to him at any time during the counting of the votes.