(1) This law regulates the status of the elections for the local public administration authorities — local councils, county councils, mayors and presidents of county councils.
(2) Local councils, county councils and mayors are elected through universal, equal, direct, secret and freely expressed vote.
(3) Local and county councils are elected by electoral constituencies, based on the slate voting, according to the principle of proportional representation.
(4) The mayors of communes, towns, municipalities, the sectors of the Municipality of Bucharest and the general mayor of the Municipality of Bucharest are elected by electoral constituencies, through the fi rst-past-the-post system.
(5) The presidents and vice-presidents of county councils, as well deputy mayors are elected by indirect vote, by the county councils, respectively the local councils.
(6) The provisions of this law concerning local councils and mayors, as well as those concerning communal, town, municipal constituencies and sector constituencies, for the Municipality of Bucharest, shall also apply to the General Council and to the general mayor of the Municipality of Bucharest, as well as to the electoral constituency of the Municipality of Bucharest, unless otherwise stipulated.