10. (1) Of the nationwide 175 seats, 135 are constituency seats and 40 are compensatory seats. The distribution of seats among regions and among multimember constituencies are determined and announced by the Minister for Social Welfare following publication of the population figure as at January 1st 2010, 2015, 2020, etc., and the distribution subsequently applies to the following elections.
(2) The distribution is fixed proportional to numbers, which for each region and each multi- member constituency are computed as the sum of: 1) the population; 2) the number of voters in the last general election; and 3) the area in square kilometers multiplied by 20, of the appropriate region or multimember constituency, respectively. If the number of seats resulting from the distribution are not integers and, therefore, do not add up to the necessary number of seats when fractions are eliminated, the largest fractions shall be increased until the number has been reached (the method
(3) According to the computation rule in subsection (2), the 175 seats are first distributed among the three regions. Next, the 135 constituency seats are distributed accordingly among the regions. Finally, the constituency seats are distributed among the multimember constituencies within the appropriate regions.
(4) If, by computation according to subsection (3), the Multimember Constituency of Bornholm fails to obtain at least two seats, a second distribution of seats shall be under taken in which the Multimember Constituency of Bornholm is allocated two seats in advance. The remaining 133 constituency seats shall be finally distributed among the other multimember constituencies as specified in subsection (3).
(5) The number of compensatory seats for allocation to each region shall be computed as the difference between the overall number of seats in the region and the number of constituency seats in the region.
Thank you for using VOTA. In order to help us improve the database, please send your comments or feedback to email@example.com or to firstname.lastname@example.org
The VOTA database was created within the framework of the joint programme between the Venice Commission and the European Commission "Democracy through free and fair elections". It is managed jointly by the Secretariat of the Venice Commission and by the Mexican Electoral Tribunal of the Federal Judiciary (TEPJF).