77. (1) Compensatory seats shall be allocated to parties which have either:
(i) obtained at least one constituency seat; or,
(ii) in two of the three regions specified in section 8(1) obtained at least a number of votes equivalent to the average number of valid votes per constituency seat in the region; or,
(iii) obtained at least two per cent of the valid votes cast in all Denmark.
(2) The number of votes cast in favour of each party in all Denmark shall be computed for each of the parties which are entitled to compensatory seats according to subsection (1). The total number of votes for these parties shall be divided by the figure 175 with deduction of the number of constituency seats which may have accrued to independent candidates. Votes cast for each party shall be divided by the resulting figure. The resulting quotients indicate the number of seats to which each party is entitled in proportion to its vote. If these quotients are not integers and, therefore, do not add up to the whole number of seats when fractions are eliminated, the largest fractions shall be increased until the number has been reached (method of the largest remainders). If two or more fractions are of equal size, lots shall be drawn.
(3) If no parties have obtained more constituency seats than the total number of seats to
which the party is entitled in proportion to its vote, cf. subsection (2), the allocation in
subsection (2) shall be final. Hence, the number of compensatory seats to be allocated to the respective parties shall be computed as the difference between the party’s total number of seats and its constituency seats.
(4) If a party has obtained more constituency seats than the total number of seats to which the party is entitled in proportion to its vote, cf. subsection (2), a second computation shall be made. In this computation parties which have obtained a number of constituency seats equivalent to or larger than the total number of seats to which they are entitled in proportion to their votes shall be disregarded. For the parties which are subsequently considered, the seats shall be allocated according to similar rules as in subsection (2), and the number of compensatory seats to be allocated to the respective parties shall be computed as stated in subsection (3).
(5) Where, by the second computation, a party has obtained more seats than the number of seats to which the party is entitled in proportion to its vote, cf. subsection (2), the party shall be allocated the number of seats to which it is entitled in accordance with subsection (2). The remaining seats shall be redistributed among the other parties according to similar rules as in subsections (2) and (3).
Thank you for using VOTA. In order to help us improve the database, please send your comments or feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or to email@example.com
The VOTA database was created within the framework of the joint programme between the Venice Commission and the European Commission "Democracy through free and fair elections". It is managed jointly by the Secretariat of the Venice Commission and by the Mexican Electoral Tribunal of the Federal Judiciary (TEPJF).