Appointment of the Elections of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic
1. President of the Kyrgyz Republic is elected for the term of five years.
2. The same person may not be elected as President of the Kyrgyz Republic for more than two terms consecutively.
3. A citizen of the Kyrgyz Republic not younger than 35 and not older than 65 year old, having good command of the state language, and living in the Republic not less than 15 years before being nominated as a candidate for the position of President may become President of the Kyrgyz Republic.
4. Regular elections of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic shall be held on last Sunday of October of the fifth year of the office of the current President of the Kyrgyz Republic.
5. Election of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic shall be set by the Jogorku Kenesh of the Kyrgyz Republic not later than four months prior to the election day.
6. The Jogorku Kenesh of the Kyrgyz Republic shall appoint early elections of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic three months prior to the date of elections only in the event of the resignation of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic upon his statement made at the meeting of the Jogorku Kenesh, his dismissal from office in accordance with the Constitution, as well as in the event of disease which prevents him from execution of his duties, or death of the president of the Kyrgyz Republic. In this case the day of elections shall be the last Sunday before the expiration of three months from the moment of the early termination of the execution of his authorities by the President of the Kyrgyz Republic. In this case, the terms of election actions established by this Code, shall be reduced by one fourth.
7. The resolution of the Jogorku Kenesh on setting the day of elections of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic should be officially published in mass media within three calendar days.
8. In case if the Jogorku Kenesh does not appoint presidential elections in the period stipulated under Clause 5, 6 of this Article, presidential elections of the Kyrgyz Republic shall be considered set. Within 2 calendar days, the Central Election Commission shall officially publish the date of presidential elections in mass media and conduct elections in the period stipulated by this code.
(In the edition of the Law of the Kyrgyz Republic issued on January 24th 2004 year, No.7)
Thank you for using VOTA. In order to help us improve the database, please send your comments or feedback to email@example.com or to firstname.lastname@example.org
The VOTA database was created within the framework of the joint programme between the Venice Commission and the European Commission "Democracy through free and fair elections". It is managed jointly by the Secretariat of the Venice Commission and by the Mexican Electoral Tribunal of the Federal Judiciary (TEPJF).